5 key decisions for designing a Linear Gas Fireplace
This Linear Gas Fireplace is installed in a Houlihans Restaurant
Linear Gas Fireplaces have a wide 4′ to 16′ viewing area and normally are not very tall 18″ to 36″. Although, some of our clients want a taller viewing area of up to 48″.
There are five key decisions in designing your custom linear gas fireplace.
Drawing of a Custom See Through Gas Linear Fireplace
1. Linear Gas Fireplaces can be single, see through or multi sided, what fits your commercial building or home the best?
Custom Linear Front and Side View
Outdoor Custom Gas Linear Fireplace
Custom Linear Peninsula Gas Fireplace
2. How big do you want your viewing area to be? Width and Height and Depth. Remember, this can easily change as we go through the design process with you. The majority of the designers and architects we work with design the linear to be 3-4x wider than tall, therefore an 8′ wide linear is 2′ tall. The rules are not steadfast, many of our 12′-16′ wide fireplaces are 2′-3′ tall.
3. Flame, How big of a flame are you looking to achieve and are you looking for heat? The flame height is variable, however the bigger the flame the more heat generated and the more BTU’s the fireplace will consume. We offer two types of burners:
Option 1: is a single line burner and the media does spread it out a little.
Option 2: is a pan style burner that more evenly distributes the flames.
Heat – If you are not looking to achieve any heat from the fireplace we design a heat relief duct to transfer it outside, you can then have the large flame without having to worry about the heat.
4. Media Selection. Media is the material used to cover the base of the fireplace and the burner. There are 4 main media styles to choose from and they can be combined, for example the stones on top of glass, and they are:
Recycled Glass – available in all colors and are irregular shaped designed for fire in 1/2″ to 3/4″ size
Glass Crystals are round and smooth. They are designed to be used with fire, the mirrored reflection from the fire and the radiant heat is great!
Stones mixed with Black recycled glass
This outdoor has a mixture of logs and stones
5. Glass/ Fronts – we offer three choices a. single pane of glass b. dual pane system with outside air traveling between the panes to keep the glass cooler or c. Open – no glass or front
This linear fireplace is open – no glass or front. The view is front and right side.
Listed above are the 5 main decisions required to complete the design of your custom linear gas fireplace
1. number of sides
2. viewing area
3. flame height
5. glass / fronts
There are a couple additional installation items
1. How are you going to vent your fireplace? – vertically through your roof, horizontally out the side wall or down in through the floor. All our linear fireplaces use class A insulated stainless steel flue.
Downward vented 16′ wide fireplace
The down drafted see through fireplace installed
2. Combustion Air – all our fireplaces with glass fronts use outside for combustion, this is typically brought in the floor from below the fireplace
3. The fireplace will require a gas line and some require electrical for the ignition of the pilot.
As always, the Acucraft Custom Fireplace Design Team is there to guide you through the process. Please comment on this post to let us know if we answered all your questions.
We co-create every fireplace with every customer, and as the world‘s leading direct sell manufacturer, we ensure you‘re getting the exact fireplace you‘ve been dreaming of!
Don‘t settle for a boring, mass-produced fireplace. Contact us today to start your fireplace journey.
Here at Acucraft, we know you want a unique fireplace that will stand out as the focal point of your space without compromising quality! We also know how difficult it is to find the perfect fireplace you have been dreaming about, which is why we’re committed to helping you create a fireplace you will love. For the past 40 years, we’ve crafted over 13,000 fireplaces, 99% of which are still properly functioning. Our team is committed to your success through our lifetime guarantee and world‐class service. If you’re ready to craft your dream fireplace, speak with a Fireplace Advisor today.